Thursday, April 22, 2010

Meet Tyke

My college is doing an Earth Day tree-planting fundraiser today. I bought a baby douglas fir, whom I have fondly named Tyke. Here's a photo of him, isn't he cute?

Baby tree! *gush gush*
Today after I finish my homework (if I finish my homework) I'll find a nice spot to plant him. My back yard is way too small, and since we have 3 massive doug firs already, I'm going to have to find a nice place for him. Perhaps up by the elementary school, or in the green belt.
I don't normally do anything for Earth day, so this will be fun! What do you guys do for it? Or is it just like Administrative Professional's Day, where no one does anything ever, because it's a greedy ploy to guilt money out of consumers? Ok that might be a bit harsh...

If I didn't have homework, I'm sure I'd be out doing something like this:

I painted this on-site when I was camping in Idaho along the Salmon river. Every year my family and I go river-rafting (on a private tour, since my dad and his buddy were river guides for 20+ years). Last year I did a lot of painting, which was all sorts of fun! There's something incredibly charming and innocent about painting natural like this. It's not a photo, it's not a still life in a studio, it's real life. I painted until the sun set, completely in time with the rhythm of our world, at her mercy.
*ahem* My apologies, I got a little too cosmic for my own taste, there.
But that aside, happy Earth Day. I hope you can take time to appreciate our kickass planet.

2 comments:

  1. I love that painting, you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's so cool to see that you're planting trees- mother earth is loving you back

    ReplyDelete