Saturday, April 17, 2010

Charlies

I feel like I have so much to share! But I promise this is my last post for today.
Thanks to The Dainty Squid, I found this odd drawing application: play with it. According to The Dainty Squid, this program is a drawing tool that "makes you look like you have mad skills, even if you don't". I feel that it's a good description.
At first the application was fun to play with and I was impressed at its abilities to accurately and effectively fill spaces and such. A lot can be achieved by one simple stroke of the mouse (or tablet).
Here's what I came up with.


See, I have a trio of animal skulls that I adore.
A spotted skunk, a badger, and a coyote (seen above).
Skulls (particularly animals) hold my artistic attention more than anything I've ever drawn. It all started with designing gothic cartoon characters wearing skull masks, then copying pictures out of science books. Then I bought skulls of my own. They've appeared in several of my pieces since then. Come to think of it, let's compile a timeline of my skull buddies right now!

Skull 1: Coyote.

Coyote was my first. He is special because of his missing tooth in the front left, just after the canine. I love him terribly!






Skull 2: Skunk.

Skunk was, of course, second. He is often pictured in more lighthearted and cute pictures. (I use "cute" very lightly.)





Skull 3: Badger.

Badger is my newest and turning out to be my favorite. The proportions of badger skulls are so beautiful.





Animal skulls, at first, may seem creepy. And I get a lot of weird looks when I tell people that I collect them. People associate dead animal parts as creepy, cruel, and gross.
To me, I am immortalizing these particular animals with art. They will be remembered and honored as beautiful beings long after they were trapped or hunted. And to me, that's doing them a great service.
Perhaps that's why I enjoy drawing and painting animal skulls so much-- or maybe it's just because they're so gosh darn fun to illustrate. It is likely both. :)

3 comments:

  1. I collect skulls as well :) Someone just gave me a Javelina skull. I also have a skunk skull, cow, and a turkey. Hope to get more.
    Thanks for following my blog (Epic Fables)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason I was going to comment before was because I wanted to let you know that I love your skull drawings. They are very good.

    Just forgot to add that (my bad)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I've always wanted a cow skull, they're so classically iconic and beautiful.
    Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete