Saturday, April 17, 2010

Aloe Vera is my Best Friend

Burns are healing nicely, but I have to go to work again today. I'll volunteer to do all of the cleaning instead of frying, this time around!

That aside, here are some art things.

You can tell a lot about an artist by the way they paint.
Me... I'm an impulsive, impatient, messy painter who likes to let the paint wanter and do as it pleases across my little plastic folding palette. (I adore this palette, no joke. Some of these watercolor blobs are 3 years old. Watercolors last forever!)

I once heard of a painter who used acrylics. He would put each shade, tint, and hue of every single color he could imagine in little cups, perfectly measured and ready for him to dip into whenever he needed an incredibly accurate painting. That's the closest, I think, that traditional painting gets to digital painting. That artist is Michael Whelan, the fantasy artists who did most of the paintings for the Dragonriders of Pern series.


And here's my latest painting I'm working on:

I'm a huge fan of maned wolves (or kalaks). They're incredibly fun to draw, but most of all: exaggerate. Those long legs and scruffy black manes are too irresistible for me to not play with visually.
Every artist has their common subjects. Mine happen to be maned wolves, animal skulls, and skeleton keys.

1 comment:

  1. If you laughed, I am pleased =D I've been laughing all day you see, and I always strive to spread the joy!

    Am very impressed by your painting, btw. I've always been crap at art in general; I tend to stick to music. =)

    ReplyDelete