Friday, April 30, 2010

Look Left, Look Right

Ah yes, here we have your typical college art class assignment: drapery.
Aaauuurrrrgh drapery. I have never ever drawn anything that I get lost in so completely.
"Wait, ok, so there's this fold, and that fold, which turns into this crease, and wiggles around down there... wait, where am I? What did I just draw? WHAT AM I DOING HERE *PANIC*"
Yeah, not so fun. ... Except when my teacher is awesome and includes a deer skull! So of course I had to make that the focal point of our two projects on drapery. There is now a well-established running joke about my extreme adoration for animal skulls. I am so fine with that.
And here they are, done on 18"x24" black paper.

Also in the still life were two fashion mannequins and a skeleton, all three of them wrapped in fabrics. We had looked at some past student examples of pieces done of the mannequins and skeleton before that. In the drawings, Skeleton always seemed to be draping his arm over the very feminine Mannequin, sporting that signature skeletal grin. One of the other students and I made up stories about how Skeleton and Mannequin got together, got in fights, broke up, and later about how Skeleton was a stalker and always tried to woo Mannequin by singing lounge music to her... all based on the drawings of past students.
Art class is good fun, I am always, always happy to go. I think everyone needs to have an "art class" in their life: something they can always look forward to, something they enjoy regardless. It makes life much easier to live.
What's your "art class"?

No comments:

Post a Comment