Monday, April 11, 2011

Critters... Critters Everywhere

Hey all! Obligatory "I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while" message goes here!
Aside from that, I have some cute photos of my animals to share. :)

A couple days ago we had a break in the dreary pseudo-spring weather. The sun was out, birds were chirping, the wind was cool but not cold. Dad and I sat in the backyard with our coffees, feeding stale bread to the chickens.


Timber is the one being fed, Skittle is the small black one, and Zelda is the poofy cloud.
The thing I find interesting about chickens is that they have a very strict pecking order. Usually the strongest, bravest, and oldest will assume "top chicken". In our flock of three, Skittle is the boss lady. Timber, being close to eight years old (!!!) has taken second, and since Zelda is a pansy, she's last.


As you can see, Skittle needed to remind Zelda of her place. Timber blissfully chows on bread while the youngsters duke it out. (They don't really fight, really, Skittle just kind of jumps at Zelda, as if she's shouting "BOO!" and chases her around a bit.)







My pretty girls!! ♥
They're totally sweet. Skittle, even though she's Ms. Bossy-Britches, is a total love. She'll sit on my lap for hours, being calm and still. Perfectly relaxed and peaceful.

Love these chickens.
Spending time watching them forage, drink, dust-bathe... it's like meditation for me. I love watching animals because they're only existing in that moment with perfect efficiency. I can get lost thinking (and simultaneously NOT thinking). My world is beautified by the life within it.

No comments:

Post a Comment